Psychology is science’s closest way towards understanding our innermost thoughts, emotions and motivations. Sometimes they reveal something about human behavior and personality that once uncovered can really be examined and changed. Here are 18 of these mind-blowing psychology facts that will alter your own reality:
1. On average it takes 66 days to form a habit.
2. Closing your eyes helps you remember things.
3. Your brain and your stomach are in constant contact with each other which is why some emotions affect our stomachs physically, especially distress.
4. First impressions can be changed by spending more time with the person.
5. Of the 5 senses, smell is the most closely linked to memory.
6. There’s a difference between loving the idea of someone and who they really are.
7. Keeping a dream journal can help you learn to lucid dream.
8. Being able to think about how we think is a sign of higher intelligence.
9. You are not one person, but three: the one you think you are, the one others think you are, and the one you really are.
10. Daydreamers are more likely to have dreams and remember them.
11. Close friends and family are the most importance source of a child’s happiness.
12. Speaking in a deeper voice helps to establish dominance over the person you are talking to.
13. People who practice gratitude are more likely to be happier. Hence, writing down a list of things you are grateful for each day can really brighten it up.
14. The regular use of two languages appears to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
15. People in love have similarities with people with obsessive compulsive disorder.
16. The type of love based on aesthetics and passion is called Eros.
17. Studying in 30-50 minute intervals with 10 minute breaks in between is the most effective way to retain information.
18. You emotionally bond with the people you sing with.