When using modern technology, it’s important to be smart about it. Whether it’s to avoid being scammed, or to become even more productive than you already are, or just so you can fix problems without having to bother another person about it (and sometimes for a fee).
Here are 10 essential computer life hacks that you need to know right now, so next time you get wound up in computer troubles, some of these tricks may help you:
1. When you sign up for anything online, put the website’s name as your middle name.
That way when you receive spam/advert emails, you will know who sold your info.
2. You can still recover a word document even if you haven’t saved it.
If Word crashes or shuts down and your document didn’t save, search “.asd” in the file Explorer under “This/My PC”. It should be there.
3. You can use your gmail address twice!
You can use @gmail.com and @googlemail.com interchangeably. Perfect for signing up to a website twice without setting up two accounts.
4. If you accidentally press the spacebar…
…and scroll down the page, you can press Shift+Space and go back to where you were.
5. Sometimes Mac file types aren’t compatible with Windows, especially documents.
If you are sent a Pages file by a person with a Mac but you are on a PC, simply change the extension from .pages to .zip and inside you will find a PDF version.
6. Trying to find out how to fix a computer error?
When trying to solve a computer error code by doing a google search, include the word “solved” in your search.
7. How to find out if a product review is bogus or not
If a product has a review score higher than 4, go through the reviews. If there are lots of 5s and lots of 1s, it’s probably a fake review score.
8. How to get unlimited Wi-Fi in airports and hotels
In places with free 30 minute WiFi (airports and hotels), you can clear the cookies on your browser and register again to refresh the timer.
9. Highlighting text faster and more efficiently
When selecting a text with your mouse, double-click on the first word, hold down the mouse on the second click and then select your text. It will now select text by words, not characters.
10. Did you know you can scroll in other ways?
Normal mouse scroll is the vertical scroll. Hold the shift key and you can scroll horizontally.