Celebrities have a lot of money, that’s a pretty obvious fact. And for the most part we see them spending their money on lavish things and luxurious lifestyles. They wear the most expensive clothes and ride the fastest cars.
Of course, not all celebrities are like that. Some have a good head over their beautiful shoulders and decide to spend their money on something far more useful than a couple of designer clothes and cars – building schools. Schools are sorely needed in many developing parts of the world and these celebrities are doing their part to fill that need:
1. Pitbull opened a charter school in the fall of 2013 called “Sports Leadership And Management Academy (SLAM)” in Miami
2. Former NBA player and current sports broadcaster Jalen Rose founded a Detroit-based charter school called the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (JRLA).
3. Shakira has opened eight schools in her native country of Colombia.
4. In 2013, Madonna opened several community schools in Malawi.
5. Tennis champion Andre Agassi created a fund that established 23 schools
6. NFL star Deion Sanders founded Prime Prep Academy in Texas in 2012
7. Oprah Winfrey opened the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa in 2007
8. Actors Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith opened a private elementary school, the New Village Leadership Academy, in 2008
9. Humanitarian actress Angelina Jolie opened an all-girls school in Afghanistan in 2008.
10. NBA Hall of Famer Magic Johnson has opened several alternative high schools for students who have dropped out or are at-risk of dropping out of school
11. Tennis superstar Serena Williams opened up the Serena Williams Secondary School in Kenya