So just recently, a very popular subpage on the website Reddit asked its 60-year-old users a question: “What advice would you give for people half your age?”
And of course, their answers varied from the most hilarious to the most heartfelt. Nonetheless, each and every single one of them gave insightful outlooks on life and love and really showed the peak of their emotional maturity – the kind of maturity that most 20-somethings don’t possess yet.
Here are the 20 most important lessons 60-year-olds gave to their younger counterparts that they really should take into heart!
1. Your husband/wife is going to be the most important person in your life. Treat them as such.
2. Take care of yourself starting right now. You will regret not taking care of yourself now once you get old. Trust me.
3. Material things don’t really matter in the end. They’re just there so we can do other important things, like experiences and getaways.
4. You have no one else to really trust in the world but your significant other. Don’t be jealous of the other people he/she deals with. There’s needs to be trust between the two of you.
5. The correct job is not always the job that you love doing. Let’s be realistic – not all people will get that dream job. If you like doing your job most days, and can tolerate it some days, and it can provide for yourself and your family, then that’s enough.
6. If life overwhelms you with duties and responsibilities, take a deep breath for a second and savor the present moment.
7. Years really go by, and this is the only life you’ll ever have. If possible, don’t marry young. Go live life! Go to places. Do different things. Don’t buy stuff, experience stuff all around the world instead!
8. Don’t take life so seriously. Even if things seem dark and hopeless, try to laugh at how ridiculous life is.
9. You will know someone is a true friend if they come running to the rescue if you call them at 2 AM. Everyone else is just a casual friend.
10. Children grow up faster than you might think. The next thing you know, they’ll be leaving your nest. So make the most out of the time you have them.
11. Nobody wishes to have worked more on their death bed. So never sacrifice your family, friends and happiness over some few extra dollars at work.
12. Always think that you’re prone to have a heart attack or a stroke — so that you’ll diet and exercise so hard that you’ll never really get either one.
13. Floss. Regularly. And also see the dentist once a year.
14. Not everyone’s advice is gospel. It’s good to listen to advice, but don’t overdo it. Listen to your own intuition too.
15. Don’t damage your skeletal system. Especially your joints. They’ll become a literal pain that you’ll carry with your for the rest of your life.
16. We only really live once, or as Drake would put it, YOLO. So don’t waste your time dreaming about your goals, and work hard on achieving them. Nothing is impossible!
17. Being happy doesn’t always mean achieving the great things that you’ve dreamt of in your life. What’s really important are the small things and being present in the moment. It means that even in the most mundane activities, appreciate the very fact that you’re living, able to ponder on the mundaneness of certain parts of life!
18. Don’t get into trouble with your finances in two ways: don’t accrue debt you can’t pay, and always pay your bills.
19. If there’s something that you’re really passionate about but you don’t see yourself becoming successful in it, try it anyway. You should do things because you love doing them, not because you expect some grand reward in the end. The reward in itself is the ability to do the very thing that you love!
20. Don’t judge other people based on their gender, religion, color, or age. Most importantly, don’t take action based on any of those things! That’s discrimination.