Going to Europe is almost everyone’s dream. But everyone has similar ideas on where to go when they finally get there. And when they do get there they end up at the usual spots: the Eiffel Tower in France, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Big Ben, the Louvre, all the usual suspects. Below we’ve listed 10 criminally underrated cities that you need to visit if ever you go backpacking across Europe!
1. GOREME, TURKEY: Amazing rock formations and hot air balloons? It literally doesn’t get any better than that:
2. IKARIA, GREECE: Fun fact about this place: most of the residents here live up to 100! So that says something about their food and their environment.
3. TORUN, POLAND: It’s less crowded than Warsaw and Krakow and is the birthplace of one of the greatest scientists, Copernicus.
4. ROVINJ, CROATIA: A beautiful town facing the Adriatic Sea, Rovinj is a Mediterranean paradise that only few people get to see:
5. ALESUND, NORWAY: This beautiful town is flanked by two bodies of water at each side. Just beautiful!
6. HALLSTATT, AUSTRIA: It’s called the “pearl of Austria” with its car-free villages and amazing mountains
7. PIRAN, SLOVENIA: This historical Slovenian town is at the very edge of the thin peninsula of Slovenia. This town is cozy and tiny, you can walk through it in under 30 minutes
8. KOTOR, MONTENEGRO: It is a city that is defined by its traditions and history, with picturesque views you won’t find anywhere else:
9. MANAROLA, ITALY: It’s the oldest of Cinque Terre Towns, and is also one of the less frequented. So if you’re going to go there, choose this place!